Friday, November 22, 2013

AUSPICIOUS AUTOS

A lot of automobiles have defined my lifetime- some classic, some not.  Some I’ve loved and many I’ve put up with.  My father never bought a new car;  used or broken in (broken down) was always better.  
There was a nice variety of vehicles in my youth- they all had their individual character.  But as the years passed and I got older a new car managed to sneak in here and there.  Much more dependable, but they all seem to look alike now.

A 1941 Buick.  It used 76 quarts of oil on a trip to Florida from Ohio in 1948.  It was retired soon after that trip.




The 9 passenger 1947 DeSoto.  A worthy car for a family of nine.  The brakes gave out on a hill in Boone, N.C.  My mother was driving and she had the presence of mind to head for the curb. With a car full of kids it was decided that the DeSoto had seen better days anyway.

A long, black Cadillac-  My father always wanted a Cadillac.  It also made a trip to FL.  and I remember us throwing our winter boots out the window as we crossed the border into the Sunshine State!  Photo credit: Gedstrom / Foter.com / CC BY-SA

An MG- TD- My first husband arrived on the scene with it.  It met it’s demise  when he swerved to avoid a raccoon on the road.



Porsche- A classic, very fast car.  We lived in Florida then with lots of wide open spaces to drive.   Definitely not a family car.  Gave that one up for a Saab.
Photo credit: Fabio Aro / Foter.com / CC BY-ND


A VW Bus-  Second husband  came with this one.  He was a tinkerer with cars and the driveway was full with an old Mazda and a forlorn looking Jeep.  He managed to find homes for all three before he died of cancer in 1996.  
Photo credit: Lawrence Whittemore / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND

Mercedes-Benz-  A great old classic.  I bought it from my soon to be last husband in 1999.  I loved it but the undercarriage rotted out . Upstate NY winters can be cruel on cars!  
Photo credit: DryHeatPanzer / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

1998 Toyota Avalon-  It has seen better days now but still a reasonably dependable car.  It’s good in snow and great for hauling dogs around.


2013 Hyundai Elentra-  So well equipped!  A far cry from the old days of iffy vehicles that sometimes got you where you wanted to go! 

If you would like to respond, just click the link below that refers to “comment.”

Next Post, Next Monday.

Thanks for stopping by!

Joan


1 comment:

  1. Ah, the DeSoto. Still my icon car, blue with wood trim! 'Course I wouldn't give up my SUV for anything nowadays - easy in, easy out. I used to think I would be able to see over other cars to find out what's holding up traffic but they're all driving SUVs too!

    ReplyDelete