Monday, September 23, 2013

SMILING IN RETROSPECT


One of the benefits of getting older is you tend to look back to the past more so than when you were young.  I find that the good memories tend to stand out in my mind and the not so good ones tend to “blank out.” 

I would be hard pressed to recall a dozen things that made me very unhappy but here in no particular order are a dozen that still make me smile after all these years.




Luciano Pavarotti singing Nessum Dorma from the opera Turandot








Flying to Ireland and seeing the coast of Ireland coming into view.

Photo credit: ZTW1 / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND 








Watching my son and daughter taking their first steps.






Mowing the yard and the smell of cut grass.


Photo credit: super-structure / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA







The continued love of a good man.






Puppies- Great Pyrenees, poodles, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Scotties, Labs-
loved them all!


Photo credit: basykes / Foter / CC BY



The sudden brightness of my vision after cataract surgery.


Photo credit: ex_magician / Foter / CC BY






The marvelous memory of a great house in Ohio.







Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca from “Your Show of Shows”









The composer, Richard Strauss’  “Four Last Songs”.  It’s so beautiful it gives me the shivers.  Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, soprano.




The summer solstice in Greenland.  A marvelous thing to see- 24 hours of daylight!

Photo credit: christine zenino / Foter / CC BY 
Champagne for breakfast with Maya Angelou. I was the housekeeper in a bed & breakfast and she was a guest.  It was her 60th birthday and she asked the owner of the B&B and me to join her in the occasion!

Photo credit: Ilja / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA




If you would like to respond, just click the link below that refers to “comment.”


Next Post, Next Monday.


Thanks for stopping by!

Joan





3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the life-altering vision surgery. I felt the same way after I had LASIK in 1999 - all of a sudden the world was crystal clear! Absolutely miraculous...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful! Sure beats having to wear glasses!

      Delete
  2. Love the Maya Angelou story. While many of us can reminisce over pets, music, and our childhood homes, not many can say they had breakfast with her! Oh, and Nessum Dorma is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. :-)

    ReplyDelete