Monday, September 2, 2013

CAN’T LET ‘EM GO!


Seems almost everyone has something favorite they wore years ago and just don’t want to get rid of.  Maybe it reminds them of a happier time, or it looked really good on them once, or maybe it still might after all these years.  The minute it gets tossed, the occasion just may come up to wear it again.  I found a few in the back of my closet.


I bought this at Montaldos in Winston-Salem, NC about 35 years ago.  It’s a heavy cotton and looks nautical, and interesting.  I hang on to it cause who knows - I may have the occasion to go yachting someday.




Saw this calico dirndl skirt and petticoat at the Laura Ashley store in London 40 years ago and just had to have it.  It seems to stay in style and will probably go on down into the next generation or one after that.



I haunt second hand shops and found this fur coat in one about 5 years ago. It cost me a big $15.  Since then I've tried to sell it at a yard sale. No takers.  Understandable these days.  I can’t just give it away cause that person might toss it.  It’s in good shape so I keep it.  It sits up in my attic looking chubby and warm.


Bought this out in Colorado some years back.  It’s all raggy and shaggy denim and went well with jeans which I wear a lot.  It’s too big for me now but I hang onto it in case I put on a few pounds!



An Armani jacket and a holdover from the 80’s.  It came along about 25 years ago after a hot sale at Bloomingdale’s in NYC.  I still wear it occasionally shoulder pads and all.  I like shoulder pads!




I bought this one in Ireland 30 years ago.  One of my favorites: country and striped sweater. I take it with me when we travel back to Ireland.






If you would like to respond, just click the link below that refers to “comment.”

Next Post, Next Monday.

Thanks for stopping by!

Joan





4 comments:

  1. Hey, that last sweater looks awfully familiar! :) Love the nautical sweater from Montaldo's. Wonder if that store chain still exists, or if it has gone the way of Strawbridge & Clothier, Woodward & Lothrop, Thalhimer's, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous
      Unfortunately Montaldo's declared bankruptcy in 1995 and is now out of business. Sorry to see that one go- it was a really neat store!

      Delete
  2. You do realize that many of us hang onto old favorites in case we LOSE a few pounds someday, right? LOL

    You do have some oldies but goodies. Last year I regretfully had to dispose of my very favorite shirt that I'd worn every winter since 1987 when I splurged on it at the now-defunct Joslin's store which was in the long-gone Cinderella City Mall. I loved that store!

    As for your fur I think it makes a fine attic decoration! I also purchased at a garage sale years ago one of those mink stoles with the clasp being the teeth of the mink grabbing the tail. Another perfect attic decoration. I always thought it would be great as part of a Halloween costume but never did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, there must be someplace favorite clothes end up-perhaps like another life. Anything well loved, like an old favorite dog doesn't just disappear.

      Delete