Monday, March 17, 2014

A HANDBAG BY ANY OTHER NAME

In early days something to carry valuables in was a ”pouch,”  in medieval days it morphed into a “purse” and in the mid 18th century the term became “handbag.”  Whatever you want to call them they are ubiquitous now.  Women wouldn’t be without one and men are slowly coming around to the fact that handbags aren’t a bad idea.  

Historically there are some strange facts about pouches, purses or handbags but the modern ones fascinate me.  Excepting the “bling” ones I never met a handbag I didn’t like.


No matter how many handbags you have there’s always one that’s your favorite and you tend to carry it a lot.  

What to do with a lot of handbags?  You could always start a museum of handbags.

One is always advised that the accessories for your handbag should be chic and black.  They should match.

Unfortunately they usually match the lining of your handbag which is usually black.  Northing worse than fishing around in your handbag for something you can’t identify by its color.  Everything is chic and black!

Crossbody bags are really practical.  Especially for shopping!  Both hands free to examine price tags and to make sure interior pockets are available for cell phones, etc.  I still have handbags from “way back when” with no pockets for cell phones. They’re fine.  I usually forget my cell phone anyway.

Handbags that are carried by a short strap in your hand look great on some women.  I always feel like I’m carrying a lunchbox around.  Not a very “with it” feeling.  

Shoulder strap bags are classic.  Leaves your hands almost hands-free.  But if you have sloped shoulders your classic bag tends to fall off and you’re forever clutching at it.  One wide strap, not two usually solves that problem.  Men like the shoulder strap (messenger bags).

We tend to carry too much stuff in our handbags and wonder where that pain in your shoulder came from.  Awfully hard to pare down the “essentials.”  We need all that stuff!

If you would like to respond, just click the link below that refers to “comment.”

Next Post, Next Monday.

Thanks for stopping by!


Joan

1 comment:

  1. Feels like you're carrying a lunchbox - I agree! I pretty much hate any purse that doesn't have a shoulder strap, otherwise they don't leave your hands free. I've never found the perfect purse but that hasn't stopped me from trying. My biggest criteria is that the lining has to be light-colored, otherwise everything is lost in there. I hate, hate rummaging in a handbag for what I need!

    ReplyDelete